Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cinnamon Roll Dough


My friend Jeanette told me about this awesome recipe, and said she had used it for Cinnamon Rolls. So I gave it a try and it is awesome and... EASY! Not healthy (because of the sugar and white flour), but come on man- sometimes you just gotta splurge! Whats really great about the recipe is that you do all the hard work, the night before. I think one thing that has prevented me in the past from making cinnamon rolls is the fact that you have to get up so early so have them ready for breakfast. If you're like me and don't want to get up at 4am to make breakfast than you will love this recipe!

So here is a classic recipe from my German Baptist cookbook ("Joys of Cooking"). Thanks for the recipe recommendation, Jeanette!

Overnight Refrigerator Rolls
Recipe by: Annie Bowman

2pkg. dry yeast
2 1/2 c. warm water
3/4 c. soft shortening or oil (I used coconut oil, and it worked great)
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs well beaten (I forgot to beat them, and couldn't tell a difference)
8-8 1/2 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. salt

Soften yeast in warm water. Add shortening, eggs, sugar and 4 cups flour and salt. Stir and beat until smooth. Stir in the remaining flour. This will be a soft dough. Cover tightly (w/ plastic wrap) and put in refrigerator (overnight). *Divide in 3 portions and turn onto floured board. This may be used for dinner rolls, coffee cakes, tea rings, cinnamon rolls or raised doughnuts.

*I didn't divide the dough into 3 portions. I just dumped all of it onto the floured board, and rolled it into a rectangle for the cinnamon rolls.

No comments: