Friday, April 8, 2011

do you desire God like this?

Oh how I pray that God would stir my heart in such a way that I would have a tremendous passion for His name and His glory. I want to live radically so that others see Christ's beauty. These men are so inspiring to me. Enjoy...


"Oh to behold the Glory of Christ! Here in would I live, Here in would I die, here on would I dwell in my thoughts and my affections until all things here below become as dead and deformed things, and in no longer, any way, calling out for my affections" 
-John Owen



"Lord God, You have appointed me as a Bishop and Pastor in Your Church, 
but you see how unsuited I am to meet so great and difficult a task. If I had
lacked Your help, I would have ruined everything long ago. Therefore, I
call upon You: I wish to devote my mouth and my heart to you; I shall
teach the people. I myself will learn and ponder diligently upon Your Word.
Use me as Your instrument -- but do not forsake me, for if ever I should
be on my own, I would easily wreck it all."  

-Martin Luther
And this last one is my favorite.
"... How sweet all at once it was for me to be rid of those fruitless joys which I had once feared to lose and was now glad to reject! You drove them from me, you who are the true, the sovereign joy. You drove them from me and took their place, you who are sweeter than all pleasure..."  
           -Augustine

No comments: