Monday, June 29, 2009

Saving Money...


The mentality in the world today is " I want it= I need it= I'm going to buy it, even if I don't have the money". Lets face it: it is hard to save money. Dave and I have for sure not mastered this topic of saving money, but I'd thought I'd share a few tips that help us;

1. Tithe! Give to God- its HIS money anyway!
2. GIVE GIVE GIVE- to charity, to those in need- this is something that the hubs and I are hoping to work on.
3. make a workable budget and STICK to it!- We like to use the envelope system. When you make a budget, make sure that it kinda makes you penny pinch a little bit. If you make a budget and are still spending the same as you did before, then whats the point?
4. Be frugal- buy used when you can, shop for groceries at WINCO, FoodMax, ETC... shop for fruit and veg at your local farmers stand. Here are the benefits of shopping at the stand: fresher fruit/veg, you're supporting local farmers, and its generally for a better price than at the grocer. oh oh oh, and it tastes WAY better!!!!!
5. Try to save at least 5% of your income in a savings account.- Dave took a finance class at our old church before we were married and they suggested that at this day in age a good amount to end up in the bank would be 5%... thats if you have a car payment, mortgage, other bills. We like to have the money directly taken out of the paycheck which is nice because 1)dave and I don't have to worry about depositing the money ourselves with the chance of maybe forgetting and 2) since its directly taken out of the check, we aren't tempted to spend the money.
6. Pay with CASH- for most everything we buy (accept for a few exceptions- gas, car wash...) we use cash. We really prefer to use cash because once the alloted amount of cash is spent from a certain budget genre, then its GONE until next month when we fill it more cash for that month. This helps you to save because once the money is gone, well... its GONE! :-) OH, it also helps us really think about what we're wanting to purchase, and if we really need it.
7. Remember that its God's money. HE is the one who has entrusted HIS money to you. Be wise with it. When you borrow an item from a friend, do you misuse it and bash it about? NO! You take good care of it and make wise decisions about how and when to use it. It should be no different with money. Pray and ask God to help you make wise decision when purchasing things with His money. By the power of the Holy Spirit, He will teach us!
8. Stop trying to keep up with the Jones.- This one is hard for me. While I love my home, and car, etc... I find myself wishing I had more or thinking "if I could just have _____ like so-and-so does". My prayer is this: God, please teach me to be content in You, and all you have chosen so graciously to give me." God is faithful! He WILL answer this prayer!

Here are some resources that may help you on the topic of money;
http://www.daveramsey.com/

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/AskPastorJohn/ByTopic/8/3965_What_are_your_thoughts_on_preparing_for_the_future_financially/

http://www.desiringgod.org/dg/id162_cf.htm

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/02/06/little-steps-100-great-tips-for-saving-money-for-those-just-getting-started/



Remember....

1 Timothy 6:6
"But godliness with contentment is great gain."

Lotsa love,
jess

No comments: