Tuesday, January 12, 2010

pleasures forever more



I've been reading a lot from John Piper lately. Right now I'm reading "When I don't desire God: How to fight for joy"... actually I've been reading it for like 5 years, but just recently really started getting into it. I think my faith has matured a little in the last 5 years, so what used to seem like a pain in the butt to read, now is a joy. Anyway, I just wanted to share a few quotes from the book, in an attempt to convince you to read it :-)

" Nothing- nothing in this world- can surpass in value and depth and height and durability the pleasure that God promises."

-John Piper

Than he goes on, and shares these verses;

"Blessed (happy!) are the pure in heart, for they shall see God" Matthew 5:8

"How precious is your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings. They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house; And You give them to drink of the river of Your delights. For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light." Psalm 36:7-9 (Piper only shows the second part of verse 8, but I really like vs. 7-9 so I shared them!)

" In your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forever more." Psalm 16:11

"You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. " Psalm 4:7

" Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven." Luke 6:23


" We are utterly dependent on the Spirit to make the promises of God more desirable to us than the promises of sin. And for that vital eye-opening, heart-changing work we pray every day."

-John Piper

No comments: